Thursday, November 24, 2011

How do I start to make a wax doll?

I want to make a life size wax doll some day, like the ones in the manga 'Vampire Doll' by Erika Kari, but I don't know much anything about how to do so!


I don't know where you get wax or how you mould it or paint it or attach hair or anything. I understand that I should start small, but I want to know exactly *where* to start. Could someone please help me?||| Casting wax, which is much stronger than candle wax and petroleum wax, is available at art supply and jewelry making places. It actually comes in various hardnesses from carving to soft forming. If making a large wax object - and a person is certainly large - it is normal to make it in pieces and "weld" the pieces together using a palette knife or spatula heated in an alcohol flame. The pieces may be formed by casting, from flat sheets made by flowing wax onto glass with edge strips to keep it in place or by melting it on water in a cake pan and lifting it off as it gets cool. Most of the techniques of slab building clay sculpture will work. For what you want to do, you will need to learn the techniques of doll making.||| The first thing to do


is get some wax

No comments:

Post a Comment